Sunday, December 7, 2008

Maribeth's Help with Moving Mom

Mary,

Yesterday I went to the Rehab center to unpack Fran’s suitcase full of her belongings that we brought with us last week, (following our Thanksgiving trip to Virginia for a few days and to my home in Pittsburgh, PA for a few days. It was also wonderful to see our only child, Levi, who is a freshman at James Madison University in Harrisonburg, VA, which is near Phil’s childhood home.)

They already had her room set up with her name on the outside, a sign on the closet that stated, "Family will do Frances May's laundry", and a calendar of events placed on her night stand. I decorated her room with a small Christmas tree, a 3 piece nativity set and a small Christmas doll that your Mother had given me back in 2003. I hung a Christmas flag on her wall that has a picture of cardinals on a tree branch and snow. After speaking with her nurses briefly, I was off to the airport.


Philip called at 2:50 pm to let me know the plane had landed. About 3:25 pm, out they came. Philip directed me to pull up about 3 feet from the curb so he and the attendant could transfer her. She looked exhausted but I did get a little smile. I was surprised at how well the transfer went from the chair into the front seat of my car. We strapped her into the seat belt; I held her hand and assured her that we were here with her and not to be frightened. She told me she was so tired and almost instantly fell asleep. Occasionally she would mumble some but not once did she open her eyes. I woke her when we arrived at the rehab center.

Philip and his army of attendants moved her and she was quickly transferred to her bed. Nancy, the almost toothless CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant) who has worked there for ten years, was so gentle with her. She told her she was going to take off her beautiful sweater and red sweats and get her comfortable and warm. Her Depends were dry and her catheter still attached. I unpacked her suitcase, got things organized and decided to bring a few outfits home until she needed more. She asked me if she was home so I reminded her where she was and that she was going to be well taken care off. She then went off to sleep. I stayed with her while Philip signed more papers.

Her evening nurse, Anita asked us some questions concerning Fran's behavior and medication. She reassured her she would be in good hands. About 10:00 pm Anita called us to let us know that Fran was just up once to give her a hard time for taking her blood pressure. Her sugar was a bit low so she was given a shake, she drank about 1/2 of it. Her catheter was taken out and her bedtime meds were given…….off to sleep again. Philip and I will go to the 10:30 am Mass and then over to the rehab to join Fran for lunch. We will update you through an email later.

Philip talked to his sister, Anita, last evening for about 15 minutes. She was a bit low, worried about her Mother and the money it will take to keep her in a home. Philip reassured her that she was fine money-wise for now (It will help that the rates are much less than in Virginia). He told her he would call her from Fran's room on Tuesday when she is off from work. We will also email her.


Hanging in there – Day 1,
Maribeth, Your Favorite (and only) Sister-in-Law

No comments:

Post a Comment