Thursday, January 15, 2009

Fran's Humor

Often in life, a sense of humor can help us get through some tough times. Mother seems to be having more lucid periods these days but she still says some very unexpected things and it's amazing how colorful and imaginative they are.

During a phone conversation recently with Mary, she got through the usual social graces with the "how are you's", etc. Out of the blue, she said, "I waited so long for everyone to come that I just got fed up. So I just went up on the roof and slid right off. I didn't even get hurt because I fell into some bushes."

Another day, she went through the usual pleasantries, then popped out with, "Well, I gotta go now. My ball's out in the yard and I've got to go get it."

Maribeth had a nice visit with Fran last evening. She got to the center 30 minutes or so before her dinner tray came. Her appetite is good and she really enjoyed the homemade veggie soup and chicken salad sandwich. She told Maribeth that she had a hard day with her therapy and when she was finished she put her PT (physical therapist), Charlotte, down the incinerator. I asked her how that was possible because Charlotte is a bit on the "fluffy" side and really wouldn't fit. She told me she proved to her how strong her legs are getting and used them to push her in. Where does she come up with these things????? She did seem to realize she was being funny.

1 comment:

  1. I can just hear Fran saying some of this stuff. The last part made me laugh the most because you've let us know how resistant Fran was to PT at one point.

    Beth

    ReplyDelete