Monday, August 25, 2008

Mother meets her new doctor....

As you know, Mother left the hospital after 6 weeks and was transferred to a skilled nursing/rehab section of Harrisonburg Health and Rehab Center (HHRC) on Saturday. She was so lucid on the moving day, I could hardly believe it. Unfortunately, she has once again become confused. One sentence makes sense and the next several don't. Keeping our sense of humor helps us cope.

The social worker had asked her some questions this morning and Mom seemed to be answering so appropriately - UNTIL she started having a conversation with someone who wasn't there. The social worker rechecked some of the info with me. Mother knew she had 3 children and said their names were Mary, Anita, and April. Poor Phil, thinks he's been disowned! Don't know how April got promoted from grand-daughter to daughter??

I was pleased that I happened to be standing at the nurses' desk when the house doctor, Dr. Shenk, was just starting to look at her chart. We talked and discussed realistic goals. I said it would make life easier if she would be able to sit up, stand up, and transfer to a commode chair or a wheelchair. Then we could take her outside and she could go to a dining room for meals. He had several new patients to see but since I was there he went to Mother first and I was impressed that he really took his time.

He asked her, as many assessments go, where she was now. She said, "I'm supposed to be in heaven!!" He told her that her mansion wasn't quite ready yet and while she's waiting for that to be ready, he'd like for her to be comfortable. He mentioned therapy and she blurted, "I don't want to have to be rude to you but I DON'T want to hear about therapy!!" He also checked her heart, etc. and told her it wasn't like the hospital where the doctor comes every day so he wouldn't be bugging her that often.

After he left, Mother told me to give her some of that candy down on the floor. I said there was no candy there and she said, "Well, check under the edge of these covers. There's lots of candy there." I asked if she wanted a snack and went to find one for her. The doctor and I agreed that, even though she has Type 2 diabetes, diverticulitus, and reflux, if she wanted something sweet, she should have it now and then. I found a nice, fresh donut but she only took one bite.

She asked me several times if we were dead. She also said, "I thought Jesus would be taking over all this business!"

By then her roommate had returned from therapy for her replaced knee. She said she and Mother were having a hard time because neither one of them could hear. Also, Mother mumbles so softly I can barely hear her. A gal, who spoke fairly loud, came to visit the roommate and they said a few things to her. After that, Mother seemed to think she was part of their conversation and was just chatting right along. She was so soft that neither the visitor nor roommate noticed she was talking. I told her I was leaving but she was so busy talking that she barely noticed.

I stuck my head back in and told the roommate I was sorry Mother had waked her at 3:00 a.m. She asked if I were Mary and said that was mostly who she was calling for. I think it might have been for me AND for Aunt Mary. The nurse said she'd been awake since 3:00 a.m. until her nap after lunch. I hope she sleeps better tonight.

I told the social worker and doctor that she responds better to a male therapist. They have a big therapist named Gary and I do hope he'll have her. After lunch, when the therapist came to work with her today, she was sleeping so soundly that they decided not to disturb her. I hope Gary will start with her tomorrow.

Mother's vitals are all so good that she possibly could be with us for some time yet. I did think the "heaven" and "Jesus" statements were cute and it's good that she's focused on something positive as she thinks about and wishes for death. I've got to remember that part about her mansion not being ready yet......it will be a good response when she gets on this subject.

At times like this, I treasure special memories like
"Houston, we have NO problem!" and "Pelican Place" .

No comments:

Post a Comment