Sunday, August 24, 2008

Mother's Move to Rehab

My brother, Phil, replied to my description of her move with, "Thanks for your humorous description of the day's extravaganza. I'm still laughing." So, instead of a summary, I'll just share it as it happened:

The nurses had Mother all packed up when I arrived at 1:15 yesterday (Saturday, August 23, 2008). Her nurse came and put in a new catheter. She had me go to the gift shop for chocolates and I got 2 boxes (12 oz) each - the biggest they had. She took a look and said she had in mind a 3 lb box of Whitman's. They had 6 oz. of Whitman's for more than the Russell Stover I had gotten. So, she had me go back down and get 2 more boxes of Russell Stover's.

The ambulance came and it was interesting getting her onto the stretcher - which was about 12" wide with a "groove" for the patient. They took the sheets and all but when they got in the middle of the transfer, they discovered the sheets were VERY stretchy! We left at 2:40. They also let her wear her lovely hospital gown - wasn't that kind?

Her room is larger than the hospital one with a big window and trees outside. There's paperwork ready by the other bed, so she'll be getting a roommate. Her bed is an air bed almost a 3/4 one - nice and wide. The remote to move the head up, etc. is small and the arrows are shiny against a dull background. I could barely see it and Mother really didn't catch on yet. She fidgeted and tossed and turned. I reset all sorts of settings from firm to soft but she just couldn't get in a comfortable position. Finally, I figured out that she was feeling achy so they gave her Tylenol.

A man physical therapist came to evaluate her.....he has 30 years experience. He got her to sit up smoothly - she wanted to lie back down but he kept distracting her so she was up about 10 minutes. He tried to get her to stand but after a couple of times said he believed they'd need to build up to that. He told her he'd been reading her records and saw where she'd refused treatment or to try. He said that they didn't work that way here because their job was to get her standing and walking again. Wouldn't you know - he fills in on weekends and only just now and then! So, she won't see him again. Darn!!

Then an occupational therapist came. She was teeny except for her HUGE belly and yesterday was her due date - I feared she was going into labor at any moment. She said if it doesn't come soon, they'd induce labor on Thursday. She - or whomever - will be helping her learn to dress herself, get to the toilet, etc. She suggested I bring some clothes and housecoats for her to wear during therapy. She just had Mother raise her arms, etc.

Faith came to visit! (Faith is the young, industrious, Mennonite caregiver we had hired when Mother was still at home. Mother just loved her!) She had gone to the hospital and heard Mother had moved. She visited for about 15 minutes. I told her I'd be in touch as I thought it'd be good to have her come sometimes. She said she was finishing with one patient and only going 1 day instead of 3 to another so she'd have a lot of open time - maybe could come at lunch time some days. It appears Mother will be busy with therapy during the day - I hope. I don't think Faith needs to come to feed her now but I think a visit in the late afternoons and evenings, that tend to seem so long, would be helpful.....we'll play it by ear.

Then it was like we were all dressed up but with no place to go. There she was in a room all alone - except for me - with no one coming around. She rang for the nurse twice and it seemed forever to her, but they came in under 15 minutes both times. I don't think Saturday was a good transfer day because they only have 4 nurses/aids on duty for the whole wing.

Mother was totally clear all day except for one small sentence about "the little boy". When things got quiet and she was fidgeting, she started getting upset. She cried some and said she was acting like a baby and that was shameful. She said she just wanted to go on (to heaven).......why couldn't she? I told her that God doesn't give us that choice.......that we just have to go with His plan.

Ed came then and made some conversation. He's always good with her because he talks so loud. He tried to put her AC cooler and it appears it's not even working. The aid said if it was a problem, they'd page a maintenance man but otherwise they'd get it fixed on Monday. I thought it was pleasant - a nice change from the freezing hospital room.

I had mentioned to the aid that Mom has divertic and diabetes so I hope the dietician was informed. The aid came to the door with a tray and motioned for me to come out. There was corn and a stuffed pepper. She said she didn't think this was right for Mother, was it? So, she went back and got a chicken salad sandwich (freshly made) and the ever-famous mashed potatoes for her. I also forgot to mention the reflux. Those 3 things do make food choice a challenge. We left her with a sandwich in hand.

I was waiting and waiting for the admitting gal so as Ed and I were leaving, we asked to see her. They had said they had 6 people admitted that afternoon. She had people in her office but said everything was done - she was waiting for Mother's pain patches to be delivered. I was delighted to hear that so went back and told Mother before we left. She will be having the house doctor - Dr. J. Shenk. I think it'll be good to have a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment