Sunday, March 8, 2009

Private or not?

Hi, Phil and Maribeth,

You asked my opinion about Mother moving into a private room. These are only thoughts and I'm not telling you what to do. Whatever you decide is OK but here are some considerations.

Ed and I have discussed the advantages and disadvantages. Overall, we feel the extra stimulation is good for her, (even though it can be annoying at times). She sees nurses and CNA's and gets seen by them more, just by the fact that they'll be coming in for two people. Mother might feel needed in helping a roommate and that can go both ways.

I was with her in Charlottesville in both private and semi-private rooms. The private room was just Mother, all alone, and she focused on herself and her pain. It's easier for the staff to "put off" going to just one person.....once you ring your buzzer, you just have to wait. A roommate and/or visitors can go get someone if needed.

When she had roommates, their families usually were friendly to Mother. They talked and laughed with her and sometimes got her a drink or a treat. Then Mother had things to think about and tell me when I came to visit. There are a lot of hours when you two can't be with Mother......I feel both the extra exposure to nurses and the interactions with a roommate will be valuable for her.

Your sister,
MaryMay

No comments:

Post a Comment